Request for Proposals for 1825 Frankford (the Garden Center) and 2211-17 Frankford
NKCDC owns two properties on Frankford Avenue that are dedicated for the use of community members, neighborhood and cultural organizations, and entrepreneurs. One is the Garden Center at 1825 Frankford (Frankford and Berks); the other is at 2211-17 Frankford (on Frankford between Susquehanna and Dauphin). We are seeking a set of partners that will increase the use of both spaces, be beneficial to neighborhood residents, and align with NKCDC’s mission and values.
NKCDC Garden Center (1825 Frankford Ave)
The NKCDC Garden Center at 1825 Frankford Ave has been a part of NKCDC’s vacant land management programming for three decades. In 1997, the once trash-strewn vacant lot was turned into a plant-filled urban oasis designed and built in partnership between NKCDC, the Community Design Collaborative, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, and neighborhood residents. Until 2010, the NKCDC Garden Center was used for distribution of gardening supplies and environmental education programming. Today, the space is used for neighborhood events, small concerts, artist and vendor pop-up markets, and family gatherings.
NKCDC received a grant from Penn Treaty Special Services District on November 1st, 2023, to bring needed physical improvements and repairs to the NKCDC Garden Center. Those repairs include repairing the deck, adding a stage and ADA ramp, landscaping, and re-graveling. Improvements will be completed through the winter and the NKCDC Garden Center will be ready to open April 1st, 2024.
2211-17 Frankford Ave
2211-2217 Frankford Avenue is an open lot, owned by NKCDC for over 20 years, between Susquehanna and Dauphin. It is approximately 6,000 SF, with 75’ of street frontage. A wooden fence separates the property from the street. There are wooden picnic tables and benches, several trees on the property, gravel ground cover, and a historic trolley. The trolley may be used by event/ program organizers; it may not be used by the public. There is electric hookup to PECO on site, but no water or power available on the property. All existing items on site are to remain with the property and with NKCDC.
Please note that NKCDC does not have financial support available for any use – we would only provide the space. Any financial costs will have to be covered by the person or organization using the space. Partners will have to provide evidence of insurance. Also, the space will have to be returned to its original condition after it is used unless NKCDC gives permission to do otherwise.
Proposals could be ongoing or they can be one-time. For example:
- A pre-school or a yoga/ tai chi studio might propose to use the space twice a week from 10-12;
- An after-school program might propose to use the space every weekday from 3-6;
- A wine or beer garden might propose to use the space every Friday night;
- A flea market organizer might propose to use the space one Sunday afternoon per month;
- A restaurant might propose a food and small business market quarterly;
- A cultural organization or a workforce development entity might propose to use the space for a job fair or other annual event.
Please provide as much of the following information as you can. Sending your proposal via email is preferred at email@example.com. You may also drop information off at NKCDC’s office at 2771 Ruth St., Suite 1, Philadelphia, PA 19134. The deadline is December 4, 2023.
Information about your organization:
- Contact name and title
- Contact email
- Contact phone number
- Tell us about your organization – what do we need to know about what you do and how you do it?
- Tell us about diversity and efforts to promote equity in your organization
- Does your organization have any special relationship with the neighborhood around this property? If so, please tell us about it.
Proposed use of space:
- How do you propose to use the space?
- Do you propose to make any changes to the space? E.g., would you want to install any structures, bring furnishings, string lights overhead, park food trucks?
- Do you have the funds you need to make any changes, or would you have to raise the money?
- Who is your target audience?
- How do you propose to promote your use of the space?
- When do you want to use the space, how often, over what period of time, and what are the proposed days and hours of operation?
- Are you proposing to partner with other organizations? If so, which ones? Please tell us about them.
- How is the proposed use of the space consistent with NKCDC’s mission or work (e.g., community engagement, economic empowerment, advancing social equity)?
- Are you proposing to pay rent to NKCDC for use of the space? Do you expect to make money from the space, and if so, do you propose to share revenues with NKCDC?
We’ll be holding an informational virtual meeting with further details about the sites and how to apply on Tuesday, November 14th at 10AM. You can attend that meeting through this Zoom link.
If there is anything else you want us to know or consider, or if there is additional information you need from us, please let us know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can review the full Request for Proposal here. Proposals are due by 5PM on Monday, December 4th.