NKCDC Housing Advisors are available by phone and online—and they’re free!
We’re here to help!
- Utilities. A new LIHEAP program opened May 18. Households that are behind on their utility bills may be able to get grants of up to $800. Unlike regular LIHEAP Crisis grants, many households will be eligible with just a past due bill and do not need to have a shutoff notice. Call NKCDC at 215-427-0350 x114.
- Emergency cash. The new Emergency Assistance Program is for families with children who were working and experienced the loss of a job or income. Families whose income is below 150 percent of the federal poverty level—about $2,700 a month for a family of three—are eligible. Residents can apply online. Applications will be accepted through June 12, or until all funds are expended.
- Mortgage. Governor Wolf has signed an executive order that protects Pennsylvanians from foreclosures or evictions through July 10. If you are at risk of falling behind in mortgage payments due to loss of income from COVID-19, please request a housing appointment here.
More About Homebuying
Buying a Home
Since 1985, NKCDC’s housing advisors have helped thousands of Philadelphians buy their own home, and we can help you too!
Keeping Your Home
Whether you own or rent your home, NKCDC’s certified housing advisors can help you with all your housing needs.
- Energy & Utilities
- Home Repair
- Property Tax
- Sheriff Sale
- Tax & Rent Rebates
Credit & Budget Coaching
Are you interested in building your credit? NKCDC will:
- Obtain your credit report with scores from all 3 credit bureaus, and explain how to read it
- Provide letters if you need to dispute incorrect information
- Help you create a realistic savings plan to meet your goals
- Determine if you qualify for assistance programs that can help you reduce your expenses
NKCDC owns and rents more than 80 affordable apartments in the River Wards. If you’re interested in applying, please note that there may be a wait list but we are always taking applicants.
Do you want to learn how to set financial goals, get and manage credit, and save and invest your money? Engage with professionals at NKCDC’s free financial education workshops, and discover financial muscles you never knew you had!
No workshops are available at this time, but please contact us to be notified when the next one is scheduled.