Whether you own or rent, NKCDC Housing Advisors are available by phone and online—and they’re free!
We’re here to help!
NKCDC is talking with new and old housing clients, by phone and online. Specifically, we want to help clients at risk of falling behind in mortgage payments due to loss of income from COVID 19.
Let NKCDC connect you to free home repair or low-interest loan programs, and help you make your house more energy efficient at the same time. NKCDC will help you figure out how much home repair you can afford, and describe how to work with contractors.
NOTE: The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) announced that there will be no foreclosures or evictions of FHA-insured single-family mortgages until May 17. Find if you have an FHA-insured mortgage with Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae. Learn more about mortgage forbearance from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Are you having trouble paying your mortgage? Have you received a Notice of Intent to Foreclose, an Act 91 Notice, a notice from a bank attorney, or a notice from the court? Let NKCDC assist you so that you have a better chance of staying in your home. NKCDC will:
- Explain all options available for you to remain in your home and answer all your questions.
- Review your eligibility for mortgage programs.
- Create a financial packet which will be sent to the lender, their attorney and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (as applicable).
- Create an application for mortgage assistance.
- Negotiate on your behalf with the mortgage company.
- Accompany you to court if needed.
Are you falling behind on real estate taxes? Did you receive a Rule Returnable Hearing Notice for taxes that are past due? NKCDC can help you:
- Develop a realistic spending plan.
- Prepare applications to the Department of Revenue or City Law Department so that you can get an affordable payment plan for the overdue taxes.
- Figure out if you qualify for programs to help you reduce your expenses.
NOTE: Property tax sheriff sales through the end of May have been rescheduled: May 7 has been rescheduled to July 9, May 13 to July 15, May 26 to July 21, and May 28 to July 23.
Did you receive a Sheriff Sale Notice? NKCDC will help you prepare a petition to postpone the sheriff sale, and, when possible, accompany you to the hearing date.
Whether the foreclosure is mortgage or tax-related, we can prepare the required documents to submit to the correct attorneys to help you retain ownership. We will help you create a realistic savings plan to help you meet your goals. And we’ll figure out whether you qualify for assistance programs to reduce your expenses.
Does your home have the deed in your name? If so, you may qualify for special programs, like free or low-cost home repair. If not, NKCDC can walk you through the probate process—which is the first step to getting the deed in your name—and can refer you to other agencies to prepare and record your deed.
Services for Renters & Homeowners
Tax & Rent Rebates
If you’re a Pennsylvania home owner or renter who paid property tax or rent last year, you may be able to get part of that money back. You must belong to at least one of the following groups:
- Age 65 or older
- A widow or widower, age 50 to 64
- Permanently disabled, age 18 to 64
- A spouse or representative of someone in one of the above groups
Energy & Utilities
Get the savings and discounts you deserve. NKCDC will help you apply for LIHEAP, emergency energy assistance, and budget billing programs for PECO, PGW and the Water Department—and give you advice on how to reduce your energy costs.
Get tips and supplies to keep your house comfortable and save money on your energy bills. Get help applying for free weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to your home, from the City of Philadelphia or Energy Coordinating Agency.