Whether you own or rent, NKCDC Housing Advisors are available by phone and online—and they’re free!
We’re here to help!
- Rent. In Philadelphia, landlords cannot evict tenants without first going through the city’s eviction diversion program. NKCDC can help you get rental assistance, reach an agreement with your landlord, represent you in housing court, and connect you to other housing resources. Call 215-427-0350, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or request a housing appointment here.
- Mortgage. The ban on foreclosures from government-backed mortgages ended at the end of July, but you may be able to apply for mortgage forbearance. NKCDC will tell you what options apply in your situation, and guide you through getting the resources you need. Call 215-427-0350, email email@example.com, or request a housing appointment here.
- Utility bills. PECO and PGW have customer assistance programs for low-income customers. NKCDC can also help you apply for grant programs like LIHEAP. If those options aren’t available to you, and you make below 250% of the Federal Poverty Level ($2683 per month for a single-person household; more if you have more people) you can request 60-month payment arrangements. For assistance with any of this, contact NKCDC at 215-427-0350, firstname.lastname@example.org, or request a housing appointment here.
Let NKCDC connect you to free home repair or low-interest loan programs, and help you make your house more energy efficient at the same time. NKCDC will help you figure out how much home repair you can afford, and describe how to work with contractors.
Are you having trouble paying your mortgage? Have you received a Notice of Intent to Foreclose, an Act 91 Notice, a notice from a bank attorney, or a notice from the court? Let NKCDC assist you so that you have a better chance of staying in your home. NKCDC will:
- Explain all options available for you to remain in your home and answer all your questions.
- Review your eligibility for mortgage programs.
- Create a financial packet which will be sent to the lender, their attorney and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (as applicable).
- Create an application for mortgage assistance.
- Negotiate on your behalf with the mortgage company.
- Accompany you to court if needed.
Are you falling behind on real estate taxes? Did you receive a Rule Returnable Hearing Notice for taxes that are past due? NKCDC can help you:
- Develop a realistic spending plan.
- Prepare applications to the Department of Revenue or City Law Department so that you can get an affordable payment plan for the overdue taxes.
- Figure out if you qualify for programs to help you reduce your expenses.
Did you receive a Sheriff Sale Notice? NKCDC will help you prepare a petition to postpone the sheriff sale, and, when possible, accompany you to the hearing date.
Whether the foreclosure is mortgage or tax-related, we can prepare the required documents to submit to the correct attorneys to help you retain ownership. We will help you create a realistic savings plan to help you meet your goals. And we’ll figure out whether you qualify for assistance programs to reduce your expenses.
Does your home have the deed in your name? If so, you may qualify for special programs, like free or low-cost home repair. If not, NKCDC can walk you through the probate process—which is the first step to getting the deed in your name—and can refer you to other agencies to prepare and record your deed.
Services for Renters & Homeowners
Tax & Rent Rebates
If you’re a Pennsylvania home owner or renter who paid property tax or rent last year, you may be able to get part of that money back. You must belong to at least one of the following groups:
- Age 65 or older
- A widow or widower, age 50 to 64
- Permanently disabled, age 18 to 64
- A spouse or representative of someone in one of the above groups
Energy & Utilities
Get the savings and discounts you deserve. NKCDC will help you apply for LIHEAP, emergency energy assistance, and budget billing programs for PECO, PGW and the Water Department—and give you advice on how to reduce your energy costs.
Get tips and supplies to keep your house comfortable and save money on your energy bills. Get help applying for free weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to your home, from the City of Philadelphia or Energy Coordinating Agency.
RENTERS & HOMEOWNERS
Life insurance. Retirement planning. Estate planning.
Understanding and tracking your personal finances can feel like a huge task. Let NKCDC help you navigate your financial environment.
- Section 1 – Goals, Assets and Earnings
- Section 2 – Spend, Save and Invest
- Section 3 – Review Taxes, Manage Risk, and Protect Your Money
- Section 4 – How to Get, Use, and Manage Credit