Housing Services Keeping Your Home

Keeping Your Home

Whether you own or rent, NKCDC can help you reduce your home expenses—for free!

NKCDC housing counselors have your back

NKCDC stays up to date with the latest house payment assistance programs. We can find programs that fit your situation, and help you apply.

We offer almost every kind of help with your home—help paying your rent, mortgage or utility bills, help with foreclosures and evictions, help building your credit and a household budget that meets your expenses. Keep scrolling for the full list!


Rental Assistance

Philadelphia’s emergency rental assistance program is closed, but NKCDC may be able to connect you to other forms of rental assistance. We can also help you reach an agreement with your landlord, represent you in housing court, and connect you to additional housing information and support.

Request an Appointment


Home Repair

Let NKCDC connect you to free home repair or low-interest loan programs, and help you make your house more energy efficient at the same time. NKCDC will help you figure out how much home repair you can afford, and describe how to work with contractors.

Learn More


Mortgage Payments

Are you having trouble paying your mortgage? Have you received a Notice of Intent to Foreclose, an Act 91 Notice, a notice from a bank attorney, or a notice from the court? Let NKCDC provide house payment assistance so that you have a better chance of staying in your home. NKCDC will:

  • Explain all options available for you to remain in your home and answer all your questions. 
  • Review your eligibility for mortgage programs. 
  • Create a financial packet which will be sent to the lender, their attorney and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (as applicable). 
  • Create an application for mortgage assistance.
  • Negotiate on your behalf with the mortgage company.
  • Accompany you to court if needed.

Request an Appointment



Do you want to lower your mortgage payment or borrow money to do home repairs? NKCDC can:

  • Review your credit report
  • Explain your eligibility to be approved for a loan
  • Explain the types of loans available
  • Calculate how much you would be able to borrow
  • Develop a spending and savings plan for you

Request an Appointment


Property Tax

Are you falling behind on real estate taxes? Did you receive a Rule Returnable Hearing Notice for taxes that are past due? NKCDC can help you: 

  • Develop a realistic spending plan.
  • Prepare applications to the Department of Revenue or City Law Department so that you can get an affordable payment plan for the overdue taxes.
  • Figure out if you qualify for programs to help you reduce your expenses. 

Request an Appointment


Sheriff Sale

Did you receive a Sheriff Sale Notice? NKCDC will help you prepare a petition to postpone the sheriff sale, and, when possible, accompany you to the hearing date. 

Whether the foreclosure is mortgage or tax-related, we can prepare the required documents to submit to the correct attorneys to help you retain ownership. We will help you create a realistic savings plan to help you meet your goals. And we’ll figure out whether you qualify for assistance programs to reduce your expenses.

Request an Appointment


Name on Deed

Does your home have the deed in your name? If so, you may qualify for special programs, like free or low-cost home repair. If not, NKCDC can walk you through the probate process—which is the first step to getting the deed in your name—and can refer you to other agencies to prepare and record your deed.

Request an Appointment

Services for Renters & Homeowners

Tax & Rent Rebates

If you’re a Pennsylvania home owner or renter who paid property tax or rent last year, you may be able to get part of that money back. You must belong to at least one of the following groups:

  • Age 65 or older
  • A widow or widower, age 50 to 64
  • Permanently disabled, age 18 to 64
  • A spouse or representative of someone in one of the above groups

Credit & Budget Coaching

Are you trying to build your credit? NKCDC will:

  • Obtain your credit report with scores from all three credit bureaus, and explain how to read it,
  • Provide letters if you need to dispute incorrect information.
  • Help you create a realistic savings plan to meet your goals.
  • Determine if you qualify for assistance programs that can help you reduce your expenses.

Financial Intelligence

Life insurance. Retirement planning. Estate planning.

Understanding and tracking your personal finances can feel like a huge task. Let NKCDC help you navigate your financial environment.

  • Section 1 – Goals, Assets and Earnings
  • Section 2 – Spend, Save and Invest
  • Section 3 – Review Taxes, Manage Risk, and Protect Your Money
  • Section 4 – How to Get, Use, and Manage Credit

Energy & Utilities

Get the house payment assistance you deserve. NKCDC will help you apply for LIHEAP, emergency energy assistance, and budget billing programs for PECO, PGW and the Water Department—and give you advice on how to reduce your energy costs. 


Get tips and supplies to keep your house comfortable and save money on your utility bills. Get help applying for free weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to your home, from the City of Philadelphia or Energy Coordinating Agency.

Disaster Relief

No one asks for a disaster. But there are steps you can take to prepare for an emergency, and steps to help you recover afterward. 

Request a Housing Appointment

Schedule free, personal assistance with one of our certified housing advisors, by phone or online!

Request an Appointment