Community Safety


When neighbors look out for each other, everyone is safer.


If a crime is in process, please call 911.
Don’t assume that someone else has already called.

Emergency alternatives to 911

Some emergencies—like those involving children and youth, domestic violence, sexual assault, homelessness, or mental health needs—may be handled more effectively by agencies dedicated those issues. If you have time to consider alternatives to calling 911, please do so. Many service providers have 24-hour hotlines. For an expanded list including housing, legal and immigrant resources, visit The Kensington Voice.

Services marked ⬤ are dedicated for young people.

Child abuse

Pennsylvania Child Abuse Hotline is for reporting cases of suspected child abuse or neglect to the Department of Human Services. Call 800-932-0313.

Philadelphia Children’s Alliance provides screenings to children for abuse, neglect, and sexual exploitation, as well as mental health, medical, and counseling services. Call 215-387-9500.

Domestic violence & sexual assault

Philadelphia Domestic Violence Hotline is a 24-hour hotline staffed by four domestic violence agencies—Congreso de Latinas Unidos, Lutheran Settlement House, Women Against Abuse, and Women in Transition. Call 866-723-3014.

Women Against Abuse provides 24-hour emergency safe havens up to 90 days for survivors of domestic violence (all gender identities) and their children. Case management, behavioral health services, child care, and other supportive services, including 24-hour security and transitional services. Call 215-386-1280.

Women Organized Against Rape (WOAR) provides free services to children and adults who have experienced sexual violence. Trained 24-hour hotline crisis counselors provide support, answer questions, and provide referral guidance. Crisis advocates provide medical accompaniment, explain the reporting process, provide information about the criminal justice system, and connect victim/survivors to WOAR services and outside services as needed. Gender and disability inclusive. Call or text 215-985-3333.


Philadelphia Homeless Outreach Hotline is Philadelphia’s 24-hour connection for people experiencing homelessness or otherwise in need of shelter. Call 215-232-1984.

For walk-in access to city-run shelters, visit the Office of Homeless Services website for locations. Additional services, including mental health assessments, referrals to drug or alcohol treatment, health care, and legal, veterans, or children and youth services, are provided as needed.

Covenant House is a Christian crisis shelter for youth up to age 21, with 24-hour phone and walk-in services. Basic medical needs and other necessities are provided on-site. Call 215-951-5411.

Project HOME provides permanent, subsidized housing for individuals and families who had been homeless. Residence programs include recovery programming. Accessible units are available. 24-hour phone line: 215-232-7272. Project home also publishes Where to Turn, a printable flier that lists meals, showers, housing, and other homeless resources.

Valley Youth House’s Synergy Project outreach program assists youth up to age 21 with survival supplies (food, clothes, hygienic products, sleeping bags, tents, tarps, etc.), peer support, informal counseling (individual, family, or group), information and referral services, and assistance to get off the streets, if desired. Call 888-468-7315.

Youth Emergency Service (YES) offers immediate housing and respite to youth age 12-17 facing housing insecurity or who are unable to live safely with family. On-site medical care, education support, youth-centered activities, links to resources and support to continue or get reconnected with school. 24-hour phone line: 215-787-0633.

LGBTQ+ support

The Attic Youth Center is the only organization in Philadelphia exclusively serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. Comprehensive risk counseling, HIV prevention, support groups, and case management for medical, legal and emergency services. Call 215-545-4331.

BlackLine is a hotline for peer support and counseling, reporting of mistreatment, and affirming the lived experiences to folxs who are most impacted by systematic oppression with an LGBTQ+ Black Femme Lens. Call or text 800-604-5841.

Colours Organization Inc. provides support to LGBTQ+ people of color. Call 215-832-0100 or email

Mazzoni Center provides services to the LGBTQ community including primary medical care, mental health counseling and substance abuse treatment services, legal services, HIV prevention & care. Call 215-563-0652.

SAGE’s National LGBT Elder Hotline offers services to LGBTQ+ people who are 50 and over. Call 877-360-LGBT (5428) 

Mental health

CBH Referral Hotline is a 24-hour City program connecting callers to inpatient or outpatient mental health services. Call 888-545-2600. TTY: 888-436-7482.

Mental Health Delagate Line is a 24-hour hotline that can also send out Mobile Crisis Team who come to the caller’s location and assess the person in crisis. If the team determines that the person needs treatment, they will transport them to the nearest CRC. Call 215-685-6440.

NAMI Philadelphia Warmline offers talk support to people experiencing mental health difficulties. Call 267-687-4381.

Philadelphia Children’s Crisis Response Center provides 24-hour walk-in crisis services for children and young adults ages 3-17 who are experiencing a mental health crisis. Visit 3300 Henry Ave., Falls Center 2, Suite 3N, Philadelphia, PA 19129

Philadelphia Crisis Response Centers (CRCs) are 24-hour City walk-in centers at four hospitals. Access in-person care by going to the hospital emergency room and requesting the CRC. View a map with contact information.

Philly HopeLine is for students and families in the School District of Philadelphia. Free mental health counseling, grieving support, emotional wellness, counseling for COVID-19 related losses. Dedicated service hours for LGBTQ+ youth and Spanish speakers. Call or text 833-745-4673.


Suicide Prevention and Crisis Intervention Hotline is a 24-hour City hotline at 215-686-4420.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour national hotline at 800-273-8255.

Addiction & Homeless Resources

Local sources for shelter and medical care for people who are addicted, homeless or mentally ill.

Learn More

Community Based Crime Reduction

We CAN (Change & Action Now) is three nonprofits—HACE, Impact Services and NKCDC—coming together to support Kensington and Fairhill residents, community organizations and the police.

Learn More


To submit a tip to the Philadelphia Police Department, call 215-686-TIPS (8477), text 773847, or email If you live in the 24th District, you also have your own tip line: 215-685-3281.

Include as many details as you can, such as the street address or names of any people you can identify. Include contact information if you would like the police to follow up with you directly. Use email to send photos or video.

Submit a Tip

If you don’t feel safe making a report, contact Katsí Miranda-Lozada at or 215-427-0350 x122.

Learn about Crime on Your Block

To see a map of recent data for your area, please visit the City of Philadelphia’s Atlas, enter your address, and select the “Nearby” tab from the menu.

See crime in my area

Get to Know Your Local Police

NKCDC’s service area is served by two police districts. Both host regular community meetings to report on their work and take questions from neighbors.

Find your police district

What if it’s not an emergency?

Philly311 is Philadelphia’s system for dealing with any urban hazard that is not an emergency. This may include:

  • Street issues like abandoned cars, fallen trees, potholes or traffic signal problems; 
  • Building issues like fire and safety violations, vacant buildings, structures in danger of collapse, or people doing construction without a permit; and
  • Trash issues like graffiti, illegal dumping, missed trash or recycling collection, or messy vacant lots.

You can submit a 311 request by calling 3-1-1, emailing, or tweeting @philly311. You can also download the Philly311 app.

Report to 311