Beginning Wednesday, January 22, NKCDC will host free individual and family income tax preparation at its offices at 2771 Ruth Street in Kensington. Taxes will be completed on a first-come, first-serve basis, Mondays 10 AM – 3 PM and Wednesdays 9 AM – 2 PM, through mid-April.
NKCDC is partnering with the Campaign for Working Families (CWF), a nonprofit committed to helping families and individuals achieve economic empowerment by providing free tax preparation, resource building, and asset development. Each year CWF provides free tax preparation at more than two dozen locations across Southeastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey.
All returns are completed by IRS certified preparers. The service is intended for people making under $55,000, although Campaign for Working Families may waive the limit at its discretion. For more information, contact Jessica Hoffman at email@example.com or 215-427-0350 x103.
CWF says filing your taxes can be quick and easy if you have the following information for yourself, your spouse, and anyone you are claiming as a dependent.
- Current driver’s license, state ID, passport, Green Card, or Employment Authorization card
- Birth dates for all household members
- Social Security card (or other Social Security document with full Social Security number on it)
- W-2 and 1099 forms for income, pensions or Social Security, or unemployment received in 2018 plus last year’s tax return (if available)
- Year end statement for any childcare expenses AND Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number of the provider
- 1098-T form (if applicable) for any college or trade school expenses paid
- 1095-A statement (if applicable) AND total of all expenses, plus bills/receipts for medicine and doctor visits as backup
- Property tax
Other income tax resources
Campaign for Working Families also partners with Intuit TurboTax to allow qualifying taxpayers free use of the Freedom Edition. If you are comfortable using a computer and following instructions, this option may be for you.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund. You can determine if you’re eligible by using the IRS EITC Assistant tool.