Reports to: Fab Youth Philly Youth Program Manager
Hourly rate: $17-$20
Position type: Part-time, seasonal through June 30, 2021
This position requires availability from 11am-3pm on Wednesdays and from 3-6pm EITHER, Monday, Tuesday OR Thursday and will be in-person at the McPherson Square Library Branch. Two hours per week of planning time can be done anytime/anywhere for a total of 10 hours per week.
Fab Youth Philly supports youth-serving organizations through a variety of consulting services, connects youth development professionals to training and networking and innovates original programming for children & teens.
Everyone at Fab Youth Philly regardless of position is expected to
- uphold Fab Youth Philly core values; and
- promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment; and
- Fab Youth Philly is a learning organization and employees should be willing to learn through self-reflection and, at times, coaching.
Facilitators will be employees of Fab Youth Philly and will report to a site supervisor at the Free Library.
All employees will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19 within 45 days of their start date.
Maker Jawn Facilitators provide interest-driven programming, hands-on technology support, homework help, and mentoring for those who attend the Free Library of Philadelphia’s LEAP/Maker out-school-time program at McPherson Square Library, located in Kensington (19134). Fab Youth Philly is seeking to hire a skilled, passionate youth development professional, maker, facilitator, or educator. Facilitators should have experience working in fast-paced afterschool/Out-of-School Time (OST) programming and should have experience and a passion for working with middle schoolers.
Facilitation and Lesson/Activity planning (75%)
- Create a club for middle schoolers that are developmentally/age appropriate that is structured, and also flexible/responsive to youth’s interests and builds from your skills, experience and
- Plan, organize, and facilitate out-of-school time program activities that are developmentally/age
- appropriate for middle school aged youth.
- Provide interest-driven technology assistance to children and teens, and be flexible to accommodate changes in interests.
- Support the completion of homework assignments
Co-facilitation (15 %)
- On Tuesdays support the LEAP Youth Advocate and their planned activities
- Mentor and coach teen staff
Administrative & Organizational (5%)
- Uphold COVID-19 safety protocol
- Submit lesson plans on a bi-weekly basis
Other (TBD) (5%)
Supporting youth leaders, Play Captains and teen helpers
- Exceptional facilitation skills.
- Strong classroom engagement skills.
- Ability to effectively engage middle-school aged youth.
- Experience with interest-driven, on-the-fly programming.
- Ability to work independently and be a team player.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model.
- Trustworthy and able to work and complete tasks without daily supervision.
- Possess the ability to multitask and meet programming opportunities with flexibility.
All Maker Jawn Facilitators must meet the following qualifications:
- Demonstrate ability to plan, organize, and facilitate out-of-school time program activities, with
- preference given to those who have experience with interest-driven, on-the-fly programming.
- Be available to work designated program hours.
- Show aptitude for using technology, library resources, and predilection for Maker programming
- such as woodworking, soldering, sewing, circuitry, engineering, construction, and other hands-on
- Submit proof of required background clearances that are dated within 5 years prior to hire date.
- Have a willingness to collaborate with Library Staff, Teen Leadership Assistants (TLAs) and Fab Youth Philly staff.
- Willing to be trained in, and use Fab Youth Philly’s ‘real-time coaching’ and positive youth development strategies.
- Able to remain calm and patient to navigate conflict and bring forth resolutions.
- Able to lift up to 65lbs daily.
- Able to bend, squat, run, twist as part of playing or co-facilitating various games or activities
- Access to reliable phone/internet service to respond to emails within 24 hours and to send/receive text messages
- Willing and able to get around Philadelphia independently; has a reliable mode of transportation.
How to apply
- Email resume and a cover letter, explaining why you are qualified for and interested in this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please confirm in your cover letter that you understand this opportunity is part-time, temporary, and that you are available to work from 2-6pm on Tuesdays and 11am-3pm on Wednesday at the McPherson Square Branch of the Free Library.