JOB TYPE: Full Time
ADDRESS: 4355 Orchard Street, 2R, Philadelphia, PA 19124 (moving to 3001 Stokley St, Philadelphia, PA 19129 in Summer 2023)
Come and join a team where we all have each other’s back.
The way we work is as important as the work we accomplish. RTP staff celebrate each other’s achievements, provide constructive feedback, and share decision-making. RTP is committed to the deep and often uncomfortable work of striving to be anti-racist, sharing power, and supporting LGBTQ+ equality. RTP strives to be a safe place for all employees.
Rebuilding Together Philadelphia embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Please see RTP’s Diversity and Inclusion Statement and our Pronoun Statement.
ABOUT REBUILDING TOGETHER PHILADELPHIA: Rebuilding Together Philadelphia (RTP) is a non-profit that revitalizes communities by transforming vulnerable houses into safe, healthy and energy-efficient homes. Each year, RTP and 1,000 volunteers provide free safe and healthy home repairs for 125+ homeowners in Philadelphia. RTP embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
For more information, please visit www.rebuildingphilly.org.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION: The Junior Carpenter is a full-time, non-exempt position, typically working 9am – 5pm Mondays through Fridays, with occasional nights and weekends required. A successful Junior Carpenter will have a clear commitment to our mission as well as previous construction experience. They will be comfortable working under supervision on a range of carpentry projects, including drywall, flooring, kitchen and bath repairs, and stairs and handrails. The Junior Carpenter will work under the supervision of our Construction Supervisor and may sometimes be asked to provide their own transportation to and from the office and job sites. Due to the nature of RTP’s work, which regularly requires staff to enter the homes of seniors and immunocompromised individuals, the Junior Carpenter will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Construction Supervisor
- Assist Construction Team (Construction Supervisor and Carpenter) in the completion of all prep work and punch list work for our home repair projects.
- Assist with the purchase, storage and inventory of tools, supplies, materials and equipment located in the warehouse; deliver materials, equipment, in-kind donations and supplies as needed.
- Communicate effectively with homeowners to schedule work, relay any changes to the schedule, communicate what repair work is being completed, and address any questions or issues homeowners may have relating to the repair work.
- Assist as a project leader during our Block Build events three times per These are two-day long volunteer events where we work in 10-15 homes. Currently there are six block build days each year (3 Fridays and 3 Saturdays) and they are often a 12-hour work day for all staff members.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Prior construction experience on job sites and/or a trade school
- Punctual and reliable arrival each morning to the RTP office
- Able to work flexible hours including occasional evenings or weekends
- Able to work long hours on rebuilding days (several throughout the year)
- Ability to perform all construction duties, such as: lifting up to 80 lbs; working in unconditioned workspaces in the heat of summer and cold of winter
- Experienced driver with an active driver’s license
- Initiative & Ownership – RTP employees are asked to take responsibility for their own work, ask questions when they need help, and deliver high quality work without micromanagement
- Emotional Awareness & Cultural Humility – RTP employees are asked to demonstrate awareness and empathy of the way emotions and cultural perspectives show up in our work and work effectively with a diverse population of clients, partners, and volunteers
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS
- Prior work experience in specific construction trades (carpentry, plumbing, electric, HVAC, )
- Prior experience in an environment working directly with clients to provide home repairs
- Experienced driver with an active driver’s license
- Starting salary is $40,000
- Employees receive healthcare, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term
- RTP contributes 3% of salary to retirement accounts for employees (with no personal match required)
- RTP offices are closed the last Friday of every month
- Flexible hours but must work several weekend days throughout the year
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO) with a minimum recommendation of 15 PTO days per year
- Commitment to supporting professional development and avenues of growth within the organization for all staff
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE HIRING PROCESS
- Application deadline is December 1, Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Brandon Alcorn, email@example.com. Include “Junior Carpenter” in your subject line
- Phone interviews will likely begin in late November or early
- Following the first-round interview, the candidate pool will be narrowed, and remaining candidates will be invited to an hour long in-person interview with 2-3 staff from RTP.
- A final candidate will be selected following the in-person interviews and reference checks, and RTP will make a formal job offer.
All candidates will receive notification of the status of their application at the end of the interview process. Interview questions will be provided ahead of time to ensure all candidates have time to prepare.