At New Kensington Community Development Corporation (NKCDC), we believe that neighborhood development can and should benefit all residents. NKCDC provides free housing counseling to anyone in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and offers many additional resources to residents and businesses in the Kensington, Fishtown, and Port Richmond neighborhoods.
We use a strategic combination of catalytic real estate development, community engagement, and people-centered direct services to ensure all of our neighbors can remain—and thrive—where they choose to live. Whether we are building affordable housing or helping residents build their wealth, we pledge to promote equity, stability, and safety in all we do, with a sharp focus on those most at-risk of being displaced.
The Economic Development Director will be responsible for overseeing economic initiatives that support community wealth and equitable economic revitalization. The Director will be part strategist, part community organizer, part advocate for equitable economic growth with the responsibility for managing department resources to improve the community’s economic conditions, neighborhood redevelopment efforts, planning, and business attraction. In addition to fostering a creative, happy and productive workplace culture, developing partners, and increasing financial resources, the Director will be expected to advance Trauma-Informed Community Development and REDI (Race, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion) work in the organization and with partners.
- Supervise two Commercial Corridor Managers and four to six Commercial Corridor Stewards
- Plan and facilitate NKCDC quarterly business meetings or workshops;
- Support and build capacity of local business associations, including Fishtown Co and Port Richmond Business Alliance
- Ensure development of short and long range economic development plans with a specific focus on the development of Frankford Avenue Arts Corridor and other neighborhood commercial corridors such as Girard Avenue, E Allegheny/Richmond corridor, and the Front/Kensington corridor
- Assist in setting priorities and policies, and identify opportunities for funding and development
- Manage reporting to funders for specific economic development contracts, ensure benchmarks are met.
- Assist the Director with strategic planning and market research
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all businesses in the community and for GIS mapping; manage production of an annual Business Directory
- Continue to work with Real Estate Development department on various projects
- Welcome all new businesses who move in to the target area, i.e., letting them know how they can get involved, giving them help with L&I, connecting them to city programs, etc.
- Encourage new businesses to locate on corridors and work with existing building owners to appropriately develop their properties, i.e. expose to city assistance programs, marketing materials and organize promotional events
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to existing community businesses
- Collaborate with neighborhood association zoning committees and the Neighborhood Advisory Committee to encourage equitable development
- Work with Corridor Coordinator to develop arts-related programming, public art projects and implementation of arts driven revitalization strategy
- Manage the rental and planning processes of NKCDC owned corridor properties
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, college courses in a discipline related to economic development, community/city planning, or related field and/or additional training/ certification in economic development preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of economic development and project management experience with a successful track record of program success.
- Knowledge of City of Philadelphia processes and regulations (L&I, Streets, Police, Health Dept., etc.) is desirable.
- At least 2 years experience in management or leadership positions. Knowledge of human relations policies and procedures.
- Professional manner and good interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate with a broad range of constituents.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritize work, take initiative, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines. Demonstrated flexibility in managing time-sensitive tasks and projects.
- Experience in event planning, promotion and marketing is desirable.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications, graphics programs, CRM systems, online newsletter formatting, web content management systems, social media, etc.
Competitive salary with excellent benefits including HMO health plan, long- and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid vacation and 403 (b) retirement plan. Salary for this position will be $1,250.00 per week, 35 hours a week.
Email cover letter, salary, and resume to Severa Kata, HR Generalist at email@example.com with Economic Development Director in the subject line.” All candidate resumes are given due consideration and are kept on file for one year, but we cannot always respond personally due to the high volume of inquiries.
NKCDC provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, race, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, religion, language, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or physical ability.