At New Kensington Community Development Corporation (NKCDC), we believe that neighborhood development can and should benefit all residents. NKCDC provides free housing counseling to anyone in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and offers many additional resources to residents and businesses in the Kensington, Fishtown, and Port Richmond neighborhoods.
We use a strategic combination of catalytic real estate development, community engagement, and people-centered direct services to ensure all of our neighbors can remain—and thrive—where they choose to live. Whether we are building affordable housing or helping residents build their wealth, we pledge to promote equity, stability, and safety in all we do, with a sharp focus on those most at-risk of being displaced.
The Community Health Worker connects community residents to social and health resources. The CHW screens each client for food, housing, health and other needs, and then designs a personalized resource plan. The CHW also works with the Nutrition Education Manager to facilitate the SNAP-ED curriculum and nutrition education, and building relationships with community-based food distribution partners. The CHW will assist with food tastings and take home recipes, and will assist in providing signage, newsletters and marketing materials. The SNAP-ED Community Health Worker will primarily work out in the community to engage, encourage and provide resources to community members around making healthier food choices and adapting healthy behaviors. By completing the necessary training, the CHW serves as an advocate for their neighbors to ensure that they have access to the resources and support that they need.
SNAP-ED and Nourish Program Manager
- Facilitate food tastings with the Nutrition Education Manager.
- Assist the Nutrition Education Manager with administering and enhancing the SNAP-Ed curriculum.
- Provide food tastings with locally available produce/goods and take-home recipes.
- Provide community outreach and organizing in the Kensington community
- Assist the Nutrition Education Manager with distributing the necessary marketing materials and signage for these programs.
- Outreach with partner groups and businesses to facilitate nutrition education in community and virtual settings.
- Work with clients to determine their food, housing and health needs. Refer community residents to appropriate services and resources.
- Assist with identifying workshop providers and ensure that the program content is engaging and culturally appropriate.
- Attend regular team meetings, maintaining regular and ongoing communication.
- Assist with identifying and providing resources to increase access to health food.
- Develop and support new healthy food initiatives and programs.
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 1 years of experience working in community-based organizations – facilitating groups and programs.
- Candidates with experience in health, nutrition, or cooking related programming and experience with children preferred.
- Must be computer savvy, able to access e-mail, electronic calendars and the Internet. Experience required with a variety of software applications including Microsoft Office.
- Strong work ethic with excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with diverse programs and people.
- Willing to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Attention to detail, organized, resourceful and flexible.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and ability to make last minute changes as necessary.
- Spanish proficiency a plus.
- Must have a car, valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Proven ability to deal with people in high stress situations with empathy and concern.
- Both a team player and a self-starter with ability to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with social service networks in Philadelphia a plus.
- May need to work off-site or off-hours on occasion as needed.
Competitive salary with excellent benefits including HMO health plan, long- and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid vacation and 403 (b) retirement plan. Salary for this position will be between $20 hourly, 25 hours a week.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with “[YOUR NAME- NAME OF THE POSITION] ” in the subject line. All candidate resumes are given due consideration and are kept on file for one year, but we cannot always respond personally due to the high volume of inquiries.
NKCDC provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, race, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, religion, language, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or physical ability.