New Kensington Community Development Corporation (NKCDC) is a community development corporation committed to sustainable development in housing opportunities, economic development, vacant land strategies, community engagement, and real estate development. NKCDC advances social equity and economic empowerment by nurturing and creating opportunities for residents to live and actively shaping their neighborhoods of choice. To that end, NKCDC provides free resources to residents and businesses in the Kensington, Fishtown, and Port Richmond neighborhoods.
NKCDC has a strong reputation, both locally and nationally, with longstanding credibility of serving as a trusted and valuable partner and collaborator. The organization is one of only two community development organizations in Philadelphia chartered members of the NeighborWorks America network. Our current work using a trauma-informed community engagement model, applying a racial equity lens across the organization, and leading programs at the intersection of health and housing are keeping NKCDC at the cutting edge of community development. NKCDC draws on the strengths of the communities in Kensington, Fishtown, and Port Richmond — a population of over 62,800, 23% of whom live below the federal poverty level — to make sure neighborhood development benefits all residents. More information can be found at nkcdc.org.
The Communications and Development Associate supports the Development team and works to engage with the Kensington neighborhood and its affiliates through effective communication. The Communications/Develop Associate will assist in developing and implementing communication strategies that promote NKCDC’s brand, products, and services. They will also assist the Development team with various grant-related projects. The Communications and Development Associate will assist the Communications Manager with telling stories from the community’s point of view and enhance the internal communications processes at NKCDC.
• Assist with drafting and designing community-centric content for print and digital materials, including newsletters, press releases, social media posts, fundraising appeals, brochures, and annual reports.
• Work with the Communications Manager on communications priorities, e.g., promoting local businesses, engaging residents in community planning efforts, and informing the public of opportunities and services provided by NKCDC and partner organizations.
• Assist with coordinating public relations and communication strategies.
• Assist with coordinating media requests with experts across the organization.
• Oversee the NKCDC website (WordPress), working with external providers to ensure that the website is properly maintained and updated regularly.
• Help with managing NKCDC social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
• Work with the director of development and communications manager to support the growth of the organization’s annual appeal and individual gifts and contribute to grant writing efforts
• Assist with the documentation of NKCDC projects, such as photo and video.
• Document and update procedures.
• Assist with administrative tasks including research, graphics, filing, copying, collating, and other communications and development activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• No minimum education required; a bachelor’s degree may be an indicator of capacity for this position.
• Professional manner and good interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and visual communication skills, including the ability to communicate with a broad range of constituents.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritize work, take initiative, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated flexibility in managing time-sensitive tasks and projects.
• Experience in copywriting and editing.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Experience with racial justice work through a trauma-informed lens preferred.
• Proficiency in writing, design software, web content management systems, and common applications and platforms, e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Mailchimp, WordPress, InDesign, Canva, Buffer, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Experience/interest in photography/videography a plus.
• Spanish language skills preferred
The salary for this position will be $50,040.90/yr. with a full-time schedule, 35 hours per week. To counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, we use a nonnegotiable starting salary system, while benchmarking our pay to competitive markets in the nonprofit sector. Excellent benefits include an HMO health plan, long- and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid vacation, and a 403(b)-retirement plan. This position is available for (1) work from home day. Work hours are from 9am-5pm. This position will be on-site at our central office, 2771 Ruth Street, Suite 1, Philadelphia, PA 19134.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to HR@nkcdc.org, with “[YOUR NAME] Communication and Development Associate” in the subject line. Applications received by February 28, 2024, will be given full consideration. All candidate resumes are considered and kept on file for one year, but we cannot always respond personally depending on the volume of inquiries.
Our hiring process includes a 20–30-minute interview with HR, followed by an in-person interview with the hiring manager, and finally an hour-long “panel” interview with 3-4 staff members. Reference checks are conducted after the final interview.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NKCDC provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, race, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, religion, language, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or physical ability. We know groups subjected to systemic oppression– including people of color, women, people from working class backgrounds, and people who identify as LGBTQ – are less likely to apply unless and until they meet every requirement for a job. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other communities who are marginalized.