Sustainable 19125 and 19134
More About Cleaning & Greening
An Incubator for Green Ideas
In 2009, NKCDC and Pennsylvania Horticultural Society started Sustainable 19125 and 19134 to coordinate and expand sustainability work that local residents, businesses, and partners were already doing, and to connect their efforts with larger green infrastructure and planning projects in the neighborhood.
NKCDC saw community members seeking ways to deepen their commitment to sustainable living, and knew that supporting this interest could bring social, economic, and environmental benefits across the neighborhood. The goal was to make the 19125 and 19134 zip codes the greenest in Philadelphia.
Through the Sustainable program, community members created initiatives that became models for the City of Philadelphia, including curbside recycling pickup, tree planting, do-it-yourself rain barrel construction, electronics recycling, and Christmas tree recycling. Powering Sustainable 19125 and 19134 were over 60 Green Guides, residents and business owners working in their neighborhoods to share free stuff, information, and events to help their neighbors save money, green their homes, and clean their neighborhood.
Though Sustainable 19125 and 19134 is no longer active, its impact can be seen across the River Wards.
- Almost 1,500 trees were planted
- 5 tons of electronics were recycled
- 20,000 pounds of organic waste was diverted from landfills
- 500 rain barrels were distributed
- 50 million gallons of rainwater have been diverted from storm drains
- 50,000 pounds of trash were collected through cleanup efforts
- 14,500 boxes of affordable produce were distributed through an NKCDC Farm to Families site.
- The most extensive network of interconnected green storm water infrastructure in the city was built.
Powered by Green Guides
NKCDC wants to especially acknowledge the volunteer Green Guides who led their own initiatives guided by principles of sustainable living that far surpass the work that NKCDC could do on its own. These resident-led initiatives include: