New Kensington Community Development Corporation (NKCDC) is always working to connect residents and businesses to resources that improve our neighborhoods.
In late 2017, Philadelphia Department of Commerce selected NKCDC as a partner for a pilot program that would fund storefront improvements for local businesses. Where the department’s normal Storefront Improvement Program reimburses businesses up to 50 percent of the cost of eligible improvements (up to $15,000 for a multiple-address or corner business property), this new pilot program reimbursed all eligible improvement costs—up to $25,000 for a multiple-address or corner business property.
NKCDC hit the ground running and so did our neighborhood business owners, and when the dust settled, ten local businesses were accepted for the pilot program. Currently three storefronts are finished, four are in process, and three are waiting to start. The accepted businesses are:
- Caring Pharmacy – 2541 Kensington Ave
- Global Communications – 2535 Kensington Ave
- Kensington Mini Mart – 2560 Kensington Ave
- K-Fish Comestibles – 2400 Kensington Ave
- Live in Color – 2337 N Front St
- Martin’s Deli – 2764 Kensington Ave
- Kensington Storefront (Mural Arts’ Porchlight Program) – 2774 Kensington Ave
- SKA Coffee Shop – 2418 Kensington Ave
- Thang Long – 2534 Kensington Ave
- Tip Toes Nail Salon – 2532 Kensington Ave
Congratulations to all!
Get help with your small business
NKCDC’s Economic Development Team is available to support Kensington, Port Richmond and Fishtown businesses. Email Jessi Koch at email@example.com or Jake Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 215-427-0350.
Sign up for NKCDC Business or Frankford Ave Arts e-newsletters for timely information, including Covid-19 emergency resources and local business news. Visit our website for small business resources, commercial property listings, and opportunities for artists and entrepreneurs.